ENT Department - Speech Unit
Speech Therapist: Fatuma Issa Mchanja
This unit is under ENT Department, it deals with habilitation and rehabilitation of speech and language
to clients who are suffering from different speech and language disorders.
When Did it Start?
It started on may 2015 when KCMC hospital employed a speech therapist, before that there was no independent speech unit,
although there was a pathologist who was doing that service together with hearing service.
Clients who can Benefit From Speech Therapy Services
All clients with speech and language disorders, such as aphasia, dysarthria, delayed speech and language milestones,
specific language disorders, apraxia, dysphonia, stuttering, cluttering etc
Where Do Those Clients Coming From
Clients with speech and language disorders are coming from different departments such as
- ENT-Most of clients who are coming from this department are those with speech disorders ( VOICE, FLUENCY AND TONE) ,
such as those clients with functional aphonia, dysphagia (swallowing disorders) also children with delayed speech and language milestones due to hearing impairment
- MEDICAL- Most of the clients who found in this department are aphasic clients due to stroke, brain tumors,etc
- SURGICAL- Most of clients who are coming from this department are aphasic caused by head injuries due to accident.
- PEDIATRIC-Most of the clients from this department are those with delayed speech and language milestones due to Cerebral palsy, Autism, Mental
- OCCUPATIONAL-Most of clients are aphasic, delayed speech and language milestones, dysphagia etc.
- PHYSIO- Most of clients are those with aphasia, delayed speech and language milestones, dysphagia etc
- CCFCC –Most are clients with aphasia, articulation disorder due to HIV infections.
- CASUALTY-Most are clients with different speech and language disorders found from other departments named above.
- NPOC (Neurologic Pediatric Occupational Clinic)-Most of the clients coming from this clinic are children
with delayed speech and language milestones due to neurological disorders and those with dysphagia (Swallowing disorders).
Other Clients Who are Coming from Other Hospitals;
Other clients are coming from other hospitals such as Mawenzi , Kilimanjaro,Mount Meru, Serian, Singida, Same, KIgoma and Dar es salaam.
How Can a Client Consult a Speech Therapist?
It is through consultation forms sent by other medical personels after their diagnosis, Such as physicians, pediatricians, phyisio Therapist, Occupational Therapist etc, after being diagnosed that a client has speech and language disorder.
Where Do Clients Make Payments for this Service
On clinic days, all clients can make their payment at ENT Department,
for other weekly days apart from clinic days, one can pay at CRDB Bank ,inside KCMC or TO THE HEALTH INSURANCE WINDOWS.
What are Clinical Days for Speech Therapy?
- Tuesday - Every Tuesday is children clinic.
- Thursday- Every Thursday is an adults clinic.
NB: Speech Therapist is available all weekly working days (Monday to Friday), so new clients can be consulted all those days, for the first visit.
Where Does The Speech Room Found?
Speech Unit is found at ENT and its room at Emergency Medicine Building ,FIRST FLOOR ROOM NUMBER 9.