Introduction and Background InformationKCMC Dental Department is as old as the Hospital itself. All along since the hospital started it has been thriving to cutter for all of the Dental services needs in the northern Region of Tanzania and communities surrounding our Hospital. It is situated along the outpatient clinics adjacent to Medical Record Department. The department is currently in a major face lift. We have about 7 Dental Units.
Out of these two are placed in a GSF complex building and the rest are in the hospital building. Currently we have 12 staff in the Department. These include two specialists one in Pediatric Dentistry and the other in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Others are 3 Dental Surgeon registrars. Of these, two have gone for Postgraduate studies (one in Orthodontics and the other in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery). The one currently in the department will joint Postgraduate studies in Restorative Dentistry next year.
We also have one Dental Laboratory Technologist, 4 Assistant Nursing Officers and two Nurse attendants. Equipment wise we are well placed with 6 new complete dental chairs and one to join soon. We also have 2 periapical intraoral X-ray Machine placed in the Dental x-ray room no 4. We also have two Digital Orthopantomography (OPG) x-ray Machines, one placed at Emergency Department under X-ray Department care and the other in the Dental department (currently under major maintenance).
- Consultations to all Dental referral patients from within and outside our hospital.
- All restorative works including filling of the teeth, root canal treatment in baby and adults’ teeth(pulp therapy)
- Oral health education on the aspect of Oral Hygiene instructions/demonstrations and diet counselling.
- Oral rehabilitation including removable dentures, obturators and fixed dentures which include bridges and crowns.
- Removable acrylic appliances: retainers, simple and complex orthodontic appliances.
- Oral Maxillofacial Surgery services panning from biopsy, orofacial defects/clefs reconstructions, orofacial trauma management and tumors resection/excisions.
- Outreach visits to be a main stay in the coming year and beyond.
- Teaching involvement in the Doctor of Medicine (MD) program on the aspect of Human oral health.