Inroduction and Background InformationThe Prosthetics and Orthotics department is one of the clinical departments of KCMC which was officially opened in 1975 as an Orthopaedic unit by then the health Minister honorable L. Stirling. To cover its history, it was initially established in collaboration with the Danish government (DANIDA) in 1973 by two Prosthetists/ Orthotists Dimistrios Kaidantzis and Lief Nelson.
Prosthetics and Orthotics Department is located adjacent to Tanzania Training Centre for Orthopaedic Technologists (TATCOT), Main library, Urology Department and opposite to Emergency Department (EMD). It is the first modern workshop in East Africa marking a milestone in the treatment of physically disabled people.
The department has been providing quality prosthetics and orthotics services to clients from all corners of Tanzania and nearby countries for over 44 years.
By the year 2020 our staff numbers is over 20 including certified Prosthetists Orthotists (CPO), technologists, technicians, Orthopaedic foot wear technicians, Wheelchair technologist and other supportive staffs.
- Prosthetic Services - offer a complete range of external prostheses (artificial limbs) to upper and lower limb amputees. Prosthetists / Orthotists (CPOs) asses, prescribe, design, fabricate, fit and train all levels of limb amputations for both children and adults to the highest standard using up-to date technology.
- Orthotic Services - We offer various orthotic services from custom made orthotics to off shelf orthotics. These are orthopedic devices used to support, control, align, correct and compensate various neuromusculoskeletal disorders such as fracture, post-poliomyelitis, cerebral palsy, spinal bifida, stroke, diabetic neuropathy, spinal cord injury e.t.c
- Orthopaedic footwear Services - We design footwear for clients with varieties of foot malformation that cannot be accommodated by standard off-the-shelf footwear such as clubfoot, foot ulcer, flat feet, elephantiasis, leprosy e.t.c
- Wheelchair Services - We have experience in assessing, designing and fabricating appropriate wheelchairs that meet the users physical, functional and environmental needs.
- 3D printing Services - We also practice 3D printing for various technological medical devices. The 3D printing program is used for both orthotic and prosthetic fabrications. The printer is also used in other innovative medical intervention so as to cope with technology.