Introduction and Background Information
The Eye Department KCMC is the main referral site for ophthalmic cases from Northeastern Tanzania and is the tertiary eye healthcare centre for Kilimanjaro, Arusha, Tanga and Manyara Administrative Regions of Tanzania. Every year in excess of 38,000 patients seek eye healthcare services at our department. Besides eye healthcare service delivery, the Eye Department is also a training centre for Ophthalmologists, Pediatric Ophthalmologists, Vitreoretina Surgeons, Assistant Medical Officers Ophthalmology, Ophthalmic Nurses, Optometrists, Ophthalmic Assistants and Medical Students.
- Development of human resource for eye health through recruitment, retention of eye cadres and promotion of continuous professional development.
- Ensuring that there is adequate, appropriate and sufficient eye medical equipment and instrumentation for the purpose of quality service delivery, training and research.
- Ensuring that there are appropriate and sufficient eye health care consumables for smooth running of service delivery.
- Actively promote development and maintenance of supportive assets and infrastructure for eye healthcare.
- Develop and maintain the eye department’s administrative, management and fiscal (sustainability account) structure.
- Develop, maintain and expand prevention of blindness activities through eye outreach services and eye health education.
- Improve the quality of eye healthcare services provided at the eye department KCMC.
- Develop and consolidate visual rehabilitation with economical and social integration.
- Provide high quality training to all tiers of trainees.
- Foster a research friendly environment with the aim of improving service delivery, identification of areas of need and prioritization of training.